[RC] VMAT Teams Large Animal Rescue - Jim Holland

Please disseminate widely!!!   Everyone has been asking for ways to assist the evacuees and their animals – this is it!!!

This is an effort spearheaded by the AVMA VMAT teams to reach out to individual owners……and THANKS SO MUCH TO the EDITOR AND STAFF OF THE HORSE Magazine, who worked on Labor Day and until midnight last night to make this happen after a suggestion that morning – I was THRILLED to see their wholehearted support and efforts thrust into this effort.

May we all be better able to help our animals.

Dr. Rebecca Gimenez, VMAT-2 Logistics Officer

REBECCA M. GIMENEZ

COMM (910) 907-2134

CELL (864) 367-4222

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sept. 7, 2005

Contact Kimberly S. Herbert, Editor

kherbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx; 800/866-2361

TheHorse.com Creates Emergency Database to Report Animals Stranded By Hurricane Katrina

Lexington, Ky.--In response to a request from the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams (VMATs), www.TheHorse.com has created a database for citizens to report stranded animals in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi. This list will be used by the VMATs to direct their searches for large and small animals for rescue.

If you were forced to leave pets or livestock in hurricane-stricken areas, please visit www.TheHorse.com and fill out the available form. These submissions will be reviewed by our staff, then posted ASAP on the web site, where VMATs will access them.

Be as complete as possible about the location, number, and types of animals left stranded and include current contact information so team members can contact you if they recover your animals or have questions.

Remember: Most signs are gone. Help rescuers find your pets and livestock by being thorough in your directions; include crossroads, firegate or 911 identifying markers, and GPS coordinates if you have them.

Donations to the VMATs can be made at https://secure.entango.com/donate/QF49DRBwTtZ.

For updates on Hurricane Katrina visit www.TheHorse.com; for ways to help, see www.TheHorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=6081.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland