[RC] 100 miles in 1 day? Swanton Pacific - my first 100 miler, Part 1B of 3 (toolong) - sandy . l . holder

Highlights of the ride (not all of which you PERSONALLY would want to experience):
* An incredibly delicious dinner and pre-ride meeting.  Barbara McCrary really touched my heart when she shared with us how she and Lud had almost given up on doing the ride until their children became interested in riding. . . and almost given up again, and the third generation stepping up to participate. . . and each generation represented in the riders of 2005
* Sleeping some the night before the ride (hmm, ½ or was that a full glass of red wine?)
* Katie spraining her left hand (yes, she’s left handed) while trying to help me tack up my nervous boy. . . good news is that its not broken, nor did it deter her from crewing – that part was fabulous I might add!
* Starting the ride with no buddy – the first time in 4 years – which can be mentally challenging for both horse and rider.
* Riding Tally in a snaffle bit with no buddy horse in sight (he actually surprised me and did quite well at the start)
* And here’s where it begins to get really good – giving your number to a group of amazing volunteers who call out encouragement until you are no longer in site.
* Heading across a misty field and finding someone else trying to ‘start late’ to keep their high strung mount a bit under control, and Tally relaxing and letting me focus more on the surroundings (I have no idea who it was but really appreciate the ‘help’)
* Heading up a steady grade – I really like this – to take out some of the ‘hotness’ (adrenaline) from my excited mount and warming him up
* Level ground with excellent footing to let him trot out (this is where he excels and the ride starts to become fun)
* Meeting previously unknown riders (hi there Jill) to share time with
* Realizing that everyone in the forest can hear you when you scream because of ‘knee knockers’
* And finally stretching out a bit and riding ahead of the current pack, having the opportunity to talk to my confused boy about why and where we were, oh, and I should mention singing not TOO loudly ~,zƧǫN+b{kj{&^v+"קuh\azܭbrƝvZٚ'r߉ק&jwkz^&|z·+,݊)ڶ*'-Z)ɧ-➷zhb)ߢ*'o*^'ޞح(קukyȩkם!z+vb)ޮ+W(֜^zuץz׭隵jWf&^q )z ,h7kzXם&Xʖw'