[RC] Crewless Riding - rdcarrie

I've done 50s (and LDs) both crewless and with a partial crew.  Most rides here in Texas have all vet checks in camp.  When crewless, I just get a few things ready before heading out in the morning.  I mix up all the elytes I'll need for the day, so that all I have to do is grab a syringe at each vet check to dose my horse.  Before heading out on the trail, I set up the "buffet" for my horse next to the trailer - bucket of water, pile of hay, pan of dry beet pulp/strategy mix (I'll add water when I come in off trail), and a lead rope tied long enough to let the horse reach all of it.  When I come in, I P&R, vet thru, and then head to my trailer.  Upon arrival at the trailer, I just pull the bit, snap the lead rope to the headstall, loosen the girth, and the horse is set.  I add water to the beet pulp mix, and he can dig in to whatever he wants to eat...I then go get myself something to eat/drink, then si t and neurotically watch my horse.  <G>  If I'm parked a long way from the vet area, I'll carry everything down to the crewing area before starting the ride, and get stuff set up the same way.  I'll include a chair, and food/water for me.  Usually my husband is with me at rides...he rides the LD.  We still set stuff up in the morning, and each will set things up for the other before going back out on our respective loops.  When he's done with his ride, he'll crew for me.  He plans to move up to 50s next year, though, so there goes my "half crew."  LOL.

For out of camp checks, I have a crew bag that will hold everything, even enough for both my husband and me - two small feed pans, a large flake of hay, several large ziploc bags of beet pulp/Strategy mix, collapsible water bucket, elytes, people snacks, horse carrots, sunscreen, etc.  Ride management will haul riders' crew bags, etc. to out of camp checks.

Dawn in East Texas