Re: [RC] "wings"(poleys)/security/aussie/"proper position"/skill vs equipment - Lynne Glazer

Angie,
Sounds like you rode in a saddle with poleys that were angled back towards your leg at 45 degrees or so for max security, ouch. The endurance-oriented models have poleys that are at a less acute angle, for comfortable posting.

Aussies, like regular English saddles, concentrate the weight over a small area compared to Western, so a weight distributing pad is a good idea--combine improper fit with sack-of-potatoes riders and they can be torture devices. They should be checked frequently to make sure they still fit, a rider can learn to adjust the flocking to make sure they still fit. Since the good ones mold to the shape of the horse's back, using them on a single horse (or multiple horses with similar backs) should be considered.

BTW, Ray, with an endurance length English girth (34-38") and billet straps, your leg is nowhere near the girth buckles, because of the curve of the horse, yet they can still be up on the sweat flap. Not every horse needs the same combo of billets, which is why having 4 from which to choose, which aren't restrained to one position by being sewn to the flap is a "good thing".

Lynne