[RC] tending to pastures - Julie Fuller

As a horse, and goat owner, I can say that having both is a great way to keep your pastures looking like parkland. But there are a few things to consider:

1. Fencing. Goats can be escape artists. Especially pigmy goats. I prefer the large dairy goats, as they are less likely to escape, and are more docile. Boer goats are excellent too. (They are a large meat breed, extremely docile, but can be very expensive depending on your area)

If you have electric fences, you will need four strands of HOT wire to contain goats. Woven wire with electric on extended insulators works very well, and you can usually get away with just one hot wire then.

2. Goats will eat trees and such, if there is not enough brush/weeds to keep them busy. It's not a problem for me.... but in the past, I have wrapped trees with chicken wire to 6 feet to keep them from stripping bark.

3. Only bucks stink. And only part of the year. When they go into rut in about September, through about February they not only stink to high heaven, they can be really rambunctious. (They exception is pigmy bucks. They stink ALL the time. *grin*)

4. Whethers are cut males. They don't smell, they are usually very friendly, and cheaper than does. Around here, you can buy them privately, or at an auction for $25 to $75. (SW Washington)

I used to run 20 head of goats on ten acres with 4-6 horses. I rotated through three pastures which always looked like I had a hired greenskeeper. No weeds, evenly grazed grass... it was wonderful. I fed only the does I milked anything more than what they could get on the place, though in the cold, wet months, I fed everyone hay and a bit of grain when they were in the barn at night.

Other things to keep in mind: Goats need de-worming, and regular hoof trimming. Hoof trimming is easy IF you keep up with it. Timing depends on what kind of ground you have. I usually trim 2-3 times a year here.

Housing: We built a wonderful portable house for our goats. It's on skids, so we just drag it to a clean spot and re-bed it when it gets dirty. We usually move it several times in winter because it gets wet, but in the spring, summer and fall, we rarely need to move it. This is really nice if you rotate pastures. Our house is 6x8 and is big enough for 4-5 goats. It has a manger in it for feeding hay in winter.

I really like the idea of letting the animals do the work when it comes to pastures.... After the intial time/money investment in getting set up, it works, and leaves me more time to ride! If anyone would like more info on this, feel free to email.

Julie