From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Long
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 6:56 PM
To: Jim Holland
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Hurricane Fallout

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:27:16 -0400, "Jim Holland" <lanconn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Look yourself....in all my years on Ridecamp, I have NEVER complained about
someone else's post. When something appears in your reader, you have
several

-delete key
-forward key
-save it somewhere
-reply

The typical lame excuse of someone who abuses a list.

Most of the time, mine are in the 1st category.  One of the things I like
about Ridecamp is that Steph allows a lot of latitude and digression.  If
we
limited this to JUST Endurance, it would be a pretty damn dull list.  For
example, I was not particularly interested in the recent bra discussion and
the "pencil" test, NEITHER of which are Endurance related. Certainly George
Bush...and our Federal government's response to Katrina...is MORE Endurance
related than Oprah. I was not the only poster on this subject. If we
limited
it to just Endurance, I would have missed Mike Maul's excellent link to the
National Geographic article. Thanks, Mike.

It's not all off-topic or semi-related posts that are a problem ... it is
PARTISAN POLITICS that is poison to lists like this.

It's not YOUR call or Linda's...or mine...to police this list. It's
Steph's...and she does a pretty damn good job of it. One of the things I
like about Ridecamp is that Steph allows a lot of latitude and digression,
particularly in times of national stress...such as 9/11 and now during
Katrina. In the time it took you to post your response you could have
deleted a LOT of messages.

Yes, it's Steph's list, and I'm disappointed that she hasn't already weighed
in
on these political posts.  Maybe she's off at a ride.  Yes, you are not the
first ... and that's just the problem, as soon as one person spouts their
politics here, someone else does, and then another, and then we're overrun
with
it.  I've seen it happen elsewhere.  It can ruin a list.

We've had a lot of posts about Katrina, and will have more, no problem there
it is the political blaming that is the problem.  There's plenty of blame to
go
around, but we don't need it here.

It's not my job to police this list, but all of us have a stake in keeping
politics off of it.

This kind of "crap" from you is taking up space that could be used to
discuss something relevant, even if isn't Endurance related.

Y'all cut the political crap, I'll stop complaining about it.

If you don't like reading a specific post, there is a DELETE key on the
right of your keyboard about halfway down.  USE it.  Works for me.

Again, a poor refuge for the people who post political crap on lists where
it is
not appropriate.

If you have a complaint, send it to Steph or me privately....not to
Ridecamp.

No, I'll put it out here for all to see.

In closing, I don't want to get into a battle of words with you over this,
obviously I would be fighting with an unarmed man.  So let's just drop it
here, OK? If you have anything else to say, say it privately to me or
Steph.
It serves no useful purpose to post it on Ridecamp. FYI, my post to Linda
going to Ridecamp WAS accidental....I intended it to go only to Linda, but
shit happens....sorry about that. (:

If it was accidental, just say so, don't defend posting it as if it was
proper
for you to do so.  I'd be happy to accept an apology for an accidental post,
and
I expect everyone else would, too.

The "useful purpose" of airing it here is to nip the posting of partisan
politics in the bud before it gets out of hand.  If no one voices their
disgust
at them, others get the idea it's OK and soon we're innundated with them.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx