Re: [RC] new saddle - Laney Humphrey

I've just bought a Wintec aussie because I like the security of the poleys. I was lent a Wintec saddle fitting gauge because the gullet was the "wide" width when I tried the saddle and that was too wide for my Spanish Mustang. The gauge indicated the next size narrower gullet would be right. Changing the gullet width only changes the front of the saddle and doesn't do anything to correct other potential problems such as the curve of the saddle from front to back or the slant (for want of a better word) of the rear ends of the panels. If your horses are narrow backed which would make them look like greyhounds, the rear of the saddles might be flatter than their backs which would mean that relatively little of the back of the panels is actually contacting their backs. This would concentrate pressure there onto smaller areas than if there was more complete contact. Having said that, I'd buy a complete gullet kit because then you'd already have gullets for when your horses change shape which they surely will if they are just beginning to be ridden. And, according to Wintec, extra flocking can be added to change the curve from front to back and maybe correct other fit problems.
If a saddle slips back and forth, either it doesn't fit well or your girth is too loose. I try to remember to check my girth fairly soon after starting to ride. My weight compresses my wool saddle pad and also spreads the tree of the saddle a tiny bit so the saddle settles down onto the horse. If I've ridden for several hours, my horse may have lost enough weight to cause the girth to loosen again. Better to know your girth is snug than to suffer from discovering it too late! I always ride with a breast collar & on hard to fit horses, have also used a crupper to help keep the saddle in place.
Have fun with your mustangs and good luck with your saddles!
Laney

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: cyndi stevcynwunder@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been searching for saddle for my high withered- built like a greyhound mustang. So far it looks like my best bet is the wintec pro dressage. I was also thinking the wintec austrailan stock saddle might be a good fit for my daughter on her newly trained mustang as it appears very secure and I am a nervous mother. Has anyone had experience with these two saddles? How well does the changeable gullet adjust the fit? Will the wintec pro slide back and forth if I am riding hills in it? This has been an issue in the past. Thanks for any advice- and I can second the comment that older saddles are often built for a narrow horse. The western saddle I bought for my girl is an old one and fits pretty well but is very heavy.

Cyndi