Re: [RC] Places to live - Tina Rushing

someone wrote:  Where exactly is a 'safe' place to live?

someone replied:  North Dakota? ...no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no big
fires -(no forests), no big floods... No big tornadoes, just little ones. No
volcanoes, ...The worst we get is blizzards, but you stay in where it is
warm, wait it out and then when it is over go play in the all the new snow.
(ok and you also have to shovel your car out so you can get back to work).

My father grew up farming in ND, son of German emigrants.  His memories of
ND farm life were not so bright, 'course farming with horses in the 30's and
40's was probably not a day in the barcalounger.  His recollections were
strong on blizzards, locusts, mud, heat, holing up in the cellar during
tornadoes and emerging to find sheds torn to shreds and animals missing.
Rebuilding.  Always digging in, again.  When the Army called him he was
happy to sell the farm.  I went to see the old place 20 years ago.  Didn't
look so bad to me in the fine summer weather, and the new people were very
nice.  They seemed happy (they weren't farmers).  The remains of the old
house were there, fireplace and foundation intact.  Tornado victim.  Not
sure why they left it, but it was interesting to see.  The new house looked
sturdy.  I liked ND.  Not sure if I'm tough enough for ND winters but I'd
consider giving it a shot.  The people make the place and there were plenty
of nice people.

Ditto for Minnesota, in summer it's a land of chiggers, mosquitoes,
beautiful lakes and streams, populated by kind people.  Spring is slushy but
bug-free.  Winter visit was quite the adventure for a girl who had rarely
*seen* snow and had never driven in it.  As mentioned, the locals were kind.
It was stunning to have strangers come to the rescue voluntarily and with
apparent pleasure (and amusement; nothing perks up a bleak winter day like a
Californian who got herself stuck in the snow :-)

If you get yourself into a jam in a densely populated area of California you
will need to formulate a plan that is not reliant on the kindness of
strangers.  In sparsely populated areas there are other concerns.  A
survivalist skill-set and mentality is helpful.  In spite of the drawbacks
I'm entrenched in northern California.  Hoping the threat of earthquakes,
tsunamis, and a real estate crash will drive people to seek a safer habitat.
Lessen the traffic congestion.  Hope the vermin won't ruin the good nature
and decency of ND and MN.  I'm feeling lucky.

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA