[RC] Medicating Dog -- What Worked -- OT - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laurie Underwood laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I again want to thank everyone who emailed me with suggestions as to how to
medicate our dog.  I went to PetSmart and attempted to get both pill pockets
and the plunger thing to get the pills down Maggie.  PetSmart was out of both.
We did get pill pockets from the vet, but Maggie just ate them and then spit
out the pills.  Drat!

I never did buy liverwurst, but it was on the list if other methods failed.

What we ended up doing was giving the meds orally via a syringe.  A local
pharmacy gave us some very small syringes and we dissolved the pills in water,
sucked them into the syringes and then medicated the dog.  The years of giving
elytes and oral wormers helped in this regard!

To update on the dog, she has made some remarkable progress.  The last time
Maggie was drained, they got 1/5 of a liter after 14 days, which was down from
1 liter after 10 days.  The latest culture on the fluid is negative for
psuedomonas or any other bacteria, which is fabulous news.  Hopefully Maggie's
lymphatic vessel will heal now that there is no pseudomonas in there helping to
erode it, the fluid will stop draining into her chest and we will beat this
thing.  We do understand that pseudomonas is opportunistic and that there may
be a different underlying reason for her condition ... namely cancer.  But we
will cross that bridge when we come to it.  For now, she is active and happy,
has a great quality of life.

We don't have to make another visit to the vet until right before Columbus Day
unless Maggie gives us some sign that we need to go.

Thanks again for all of your help and support.

Laurie Underwood
SE