[RC] News from Louisiana - third world - Von Simson, Cristiano

Title: News from Louisiana - third world

The situation in Louisiana reminds me more of the War of the Worlds movie than of the third world. (I am from Brazil) As Marianne explained, the lack of infra-structure there does not drive to extremes, since its been like that since they were born. The ethics of pulling together to overcame the difficulties are a strong part of life in those places. The community also enforces the rules of behavior, and will punish the

What I am seeing here is a lot of people that are used to be protected from adversity by the system, and suddenly are not, getting desperate, and a few bad apples taking the opportunity to loot, believing that the rules cannot be enforced.

In the years Ive lived here in the US, Ive seen the incredible capacity of this country to organize itself in voluntary workforces to help the ones in need, and protect the weak. I am seeing it happening again, and I am sure that in a few more days the news will take a totally different tone, with stories of heroism, altruism and hope.

Cristiano von Simson

-------------------------------------------------------- This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the system manager: postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses, however it is always advisable to run a virus check on e-mails and attachments before opening them. --------------------------------------------------------