Re: [RC] [RC] Interval Training Abstract - Tivers - KimFue

So I guess the real question is this....how many endurance riders actually include formal interval training in their conditioning program?  I know many riders add galloping or speed work to their program, like speed play or fartleks, but I really wonder how many do actual formal, interval work. Also, does interval training and fartleks give the same training effect as far as improving VO2max?  If not, what is the benefit of each in regards to endurance riding?

So in regards to interval work with the horse.  What would one assume is the max HR like 220 or 230 and then go with 85% max.  So do you run the horse at a HR that is 85% for one minute  and the let them recover for three minutes regardless of their HR recovery or do you use dropping to a  certain HR as opposed to a timed recovery period.  Do you ever drop the recovery time between intervals or just increase the number of intervals as fitness improves?  How many intervals is ideal to start with and approximately what is the lowest number of intervals to work up to to gain the most benefit in distance riding.  I have always heard that interval work once a week is sufficient but would like to hear from others using interval work what frequency they have found most beneficial.   Also, do you ever increase the distance of the interval or do you just increase the number of intervals per session or is the interval based only on time?

Should interval work be done as the only work out or is there any benefit in incorporating it into longer riders.  For example, go on a 10+ mile training ride (aerobic) and in the middle of that training ride, like on a long grade, incorporate interval work for x number of minutes and then continue on a regular with the aerobic training for the rest of the ride?  Or should speed play/fartleks be the only speed work done during longer rides?

Just curious as how others incorporate speed work in their long distance training.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648