[RC] Training Problems - k s swigart

Heidi said:

Training past physiological problems may be
possible up to a point as well--but again, is that what one really
wants to do?

No.

That said, I don't want to suggest that just adding a supplement will
cure most training problems.  It won't.

While I won't go so far as to say that "just adding a supplement will
cure most training problems" I can say, as a professional trainer of
"problem horses" that looking for the underlying physical/physiological
cause is an absolute prerequisite for curing many of these problems, but
then, I must admit that many of my clients are referals from other
trainers who have failed to fix the problem for the client's horse.  And
because I have a reputation that I will ride anything anywhere (so yes,
many of my referrals are for horses that other trainers refuse to ride
because they are "dangerous.")

And yes, addressing these underlying physical problems can make most
(for me it is usually about 75%) of the "problem" go away.  A perfect
example of this is a 14 y.o. pony I just worked with (after her owner
had finally gotten hurt when she fell off the horse that reared up and
spun around as a refusal to go forward).  This pony has always (this
owner has had her for 5 years and has known her for even longer) been
"tense and nervous" every time she has been ridden, refuses to go down
the trail first, balks and spins around if pressed, will follow other
horses okay but is still tense and nervous about it.  She is okay (but
still a bit tense and nervous) when being led, and will walk down the
street okay but as soon as you try to get her to step off the street
onto the trail she backs, spins, balks and refuses.

Obvious training problem right?  Doesn't recognize the rider as the herd
leader to be minded even when the horse is in front or out by herself
right?

Maybe.  So I take her out for a ride.  She is tense and nervous as I
ride her down the street but willing to go forward.  We get to the
trail, she balks, she spins, she rears, she backs.  Being the effective
horsewoman that I am, I "make" her go anyway.  We go down the trail
about 50' and then get to the rocky/stony part where she again balk,
spins, backs into a bush (no rearing I know how to forestall that).
Eventually, I get her to yield and go forward anyway.  And we continue
to tip toe down the trail.

I come back and tell her owner, "I know what a BIG part of your horse's
problem is....her feet are sore."  Not so sore that they are sore on
every step, just sore enough so that she is worried on every stride that
if she steps down wrong on a small rock or something that it is gonna
hurt. She was willing to follow another horse, even with her sore feet,
because staying with the "herd" was more important than the pain in her
feet, but staying with the herd didn't make her feet any less sore.

Yep, that would make me tense and nervous on every stride as well, and
it would make me do all kinds of things to refuse to go places where I
knew it might be rocky, and it would make it worse under saddle because
of the added weight of the rider.  And yes, most of the problem went
away just by providing the horse with some hoof protection.

So, here I will say, unequivocably, IF you are having a persistent
training problem with your horse, look for a physical explanation FIRST.
Because more often than not, you will find one.  And it is grossly
unfair not to address it before proceeding.

kat
Orange County, Calif.