Re: [RC] anectodotes/testimonials - Maryanne Gabbani

Yeah, but we all know how seriously to take Bruce.

Maryanne
Cairo

On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:15 PM, Mary Ann Spencer wrote:

Thanks for the comment about 'experiences' that create testimonials.?? Some things do not fit into the 'objective scientific' category.
?
HOWEVER< referring to another person who happens to be female as 'very smart for a girl'? IS WAY OUT OF LINE HERE AND ANYWHERE ELSE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:05 PM
Subject: [RC] anectodotes/testimonials

Below?is an insight regarding? Dr. Garlinghouses' view??on anecdotes/testimonials.? In my experience (though I am not a doctor, nor vet, however I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) ?most vets (and most doctors)?need to ?rely on scientific/statistical objective findings.? Obviously, this is for the benefit of the majority.? However, there are many testimonials/anecdotes that are not scientifically proven and may never be--IMO it is up to the laymen to share their experiences and give credence to other's experiences for the benefit of the "common good".? Anecdotes/testimonials are alive and well and continue to help many of those not helped by scientific data.? My hope continues that those in the medical/veterinary professions value the experiences of those who come to them w/ their experiences and temper it w/ their knowledge of scientific data.? Personally, I believe it is all a "recipe" and calls for a milieu of information.
Erica DeVoti
?
?
Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS???? Current to Sun May 01 06:31:14 GMT 2005
? Based on *peer-reviewed data* (as opposed to “testimonials” which I venture to guess verge on the shall we say, highly emotional and not particularly objective),
?
?
Bruce Weary writes:?

?I would think there will be people responding to your theory with,
again, anecdotes of their experiences of improving a horse's behavior by
removing something (or adding something) to their horse's diet........
?? Now, surely there are other methods, many of which you mentioned,
that can be explored to help change undesirable behavior in horses, but
dietary changes may offer simple, inexpensive, and effective ways that
help, also. I always, always remember never to say never.
I would like to hear from Susan G. on this? matter. I think she's very
smart (for a girl) and could probably enlighten us further.