Re: [RC] Magnesium supplementing...etc. - k s swigart

Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Your first response would be determined by the likelihood that a
deficiency exist. How common is magnesium deficiencies in horses? Face
it our horses in general have a better diet than we do. If magnesium
deficiencies are common - yep it's something you want to look at. If
they are not - say one in 1,000 or even one in 100 you probably would
look elsewhere as the prime problem and while you are at it pull blood
to check for a defiency.

And Diane said:

BTW, remember that awful Tom Ivers and his warning about the
chelating potential of beet pulp? Well, IF your horse's blood work
comes back deficient in magnesium and you are feeding beet pulp,
you might need to add a teensy weensy bit more to cover that.

However, to quote my first post (you guys weren't paying attention):

"Yes, magnesium MIGHT help make your horse less spooky (if your horse is
magnesium deficient, and, BTW, a blood test is not a reliable indicator
of
this, although I have been doing some reading that suggests a urinalysis
might be)."

See that...."a blood test is not a reliable indicator."

And Diane wasn't paying attention to Tom Ivers's report either, since
the only study that mentioned the effect of dietary uptake of magnesium
in horses being affected by beet pulp (the first one on the six mature
horses) said that "No diet effect on magnesium absorption was observed."

And Truman said:

So the 64 dollar question here is "how common are magnesium
deficiencies?"

And the answer is, since virtually nobody tests for it (in fact they
haven't actually determined if there is a reliable test for it), "nobody
knows."  However, if one of the symptoms is that it makes horses spooky,
then the answer might be "quite a lot."

Especially since the abstract from the study performed on working horses
in The Netherlands said that the effects on neuromuscular activity are
subclinical (presumably it needed some kind of electronic monitoring
device to find the measurable differences).

The question is not "how common on magnesium deficiencies?" but rather
"will we know a magnesium deficiciency if we see one?"

And the answer to that is, "not if we are unwilling to consider it as a
possibility and dismiss it as nothing more than a schooling problem."

Diane also said:

If your horse is magnesium deficient, the symptoms will be 24/7
and should be most apparent when your horse is NOT in a training/
schooling situation.

And this is simply not true.  Irritability is most apparent when the
nervous system is stimulated.  So a horse is just snoozing or is
comfortable in its environment, the irritability may be less likely to
manifest itself, and it may not be until the horse gets into an
unfamiliar or uncomfortable environment that this irritability manifests
itself as a spook.

All that said, when it comes right down to it, not very much is known
about the prevalence or effects of magnesium deficiency in horses.

And the bad news is, that hypermagnesmia (i.e. too much magnesium) has
some unpleasant symptoms (including decreased respiratory rates and
cardiac arrest), so one ought to be careful about just adding it to your
horse's diet; although, it appears that a certain amount of renal
failure is a pre-requesite for this condition, since as long as the
kidneys are functioning properly, excess magnesium can be passed out in
the urine (this might be why urinalysis is considered a more reliable
test of magnesium status than a blood test).  But I would certainly want
to be careful of oversupplementing w magnesium during an endurance ride,
where the horse may be sufficiently dehydrated that the kidneys can't
get rid of excess magnesium.

It isn't a simple matter of "do a blood test, throw a little magnesium
at him and presto the problem goes away."

kat
Orange County, Calif.