RE: [RC] Magnesium supplementing...etc. - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim Holland said:

My point was that looking for an "easy
fix" like a diet deficiency would not be my first
assumption when trying to solve a spook problem.
However, there are many OTHER indicators which would
tell me what the "personality" of that horse is and
how to deal with it. It's not a "one fix" problem, but
no matter WHAT you do with diet, you MUST provide the
training or live with the spook. The point is, simply adding
magnesium to a magnesium deficient diet, IMHO, is not
going to result in a "magical" change in behavior.

It might.  If the cause of the horse's spookiness is hyperexcitability of
the CNS due to a magnesium deficiency, then if you get rid of the magnesium
deficiency, then you get rid of the hyperexcitability of the CNS and you
get rid of the spookiness, all without having done any training at all.

And since hyperexcitability of the CNS is a classic symptom of magnesium
deficiency, a wise horseman might want to look there first.  Not because it
is an "easy fix" but because what it might be is an early warning sign of a
dietary deficiency in your horse that will manifest itself in much worse
ways if you just train it out of the horse without addressing the
deficiency and then take the horse out on an endurance ride where the
hyperexcitability of the CNS becomes a problem with the neuromuscular
system and the horse has a seizure, collapses and dies all because you
DIDN'T consider the possibility that your horse's spookiness wasn't a
training problem at all, but a nutritional problem.

All because you didn't want to be accused of taking the easy way out.

Please note that I am not saying that all spooky horses are magnesium
deficient, just that if you have an unusually spooky horse, it is more than
worthwhile to consider that it might be.  Don't just try to mask one of the
symptoms of magnesium deficiency by schooling your horse not to exhibit his
physiological problems.

We aren't talking about a sedative here.  We are talking about a mineral
that is essential to keep the horses nervous system functioning properly.

And hypomagnesmia is a common complaint in cattle who eat too much fresh
green grass, which is why there exist salt blocks in feed stores in cattle
country that also contain magnesium oxide (not just because eating too much
green grass causes grass tetany, aka the staggers, but also because
chloride apparently helps with the assimilation of magnesium).

Truman once told me that Ken Marcella once told him that he thinks we
endurance riders aren't paying enough attention to magnesium.  And all my
investigations into it so far suggest that this is definitely the case.

If general spookiness can be identified as a good early indicator of
magnesium dificiency, then we would be fools to not consider it first,
rather than dismissing the spookiness as just a schooling problem.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .