RE: [RC] Magnesium supplementing...etc. - Alison Farrin

I have a poster child for the magnesium deficient horse.

In your pocket, me, me ,me horse, no attention span in or out of the
paddock.  Walks the fence if separated in an agitated manner.  Walks the
fence even if not separated.  Has the attention span of a gnat under
saddle or in hand.  Walks all over you if distracted.  Is distracted
every 15 seconds. Picks on his pasture buddies frequently and for no
apparent reason except that its distracting. Kind of like a kid that
needs Ritalin. This is after three years of constantly schooling proper
behavior in this horse.

All this said, this horse is also intelligent, tests the waters
frequently, tries every trick in the book before giving up.  These are
training issues appropriate to someone's recent definition of a two year
old.

The magnesium supplement I use requested that I give a double dose for
the first week, then taper back to a single dose.  Within two weeks,
this horse was better in the pasture, picked on his buddies much less,
was not as prone to walk the fenceline and was overall less agitated.
In hand, his attention span is about quadruple what it was.  You can go
a whole minute with him paying attention and not getting distracted.  If
that doesn't sound like much, believe me its WAY BETTER than 15 seconds.
The difference is very observable and makes him more amenable to
training.  He spooks far less under saddle and his "absolutely lost it"
episodes have decreased by a factor of 10

But he is also the horse that On Magnesium, set back and pulled my
16000#s of truck and trailer off the arena pad.  But, I wasn't standing
by his head to get his attention when he lost it and it took awhile to
get it back.  He still HAS "absolutely lost it" episodes, they are just
far less frequent.

Alison A. Farrin

A point to consider in trying to determine whether or not YOUR horse is
magnesium
deficient is hinted at in the study Kat quoted.  ....

If your horse is magnesium deficient, the symptoms will be 24/7 and
should be most
apparent when your horse is NOT in a training/schooling situation.
as how they feel.  But at liberty?  Wouldn't such a horse be IRRITABLE?
Grouchy,
"off", unhappy?

And of course the good news is that IF your horse is magnesium
deficient, all you
need to do is add a VERY TEENSY WEENSY bit of magnesium to his diet and
PRESTO
CHANGO!!! Your horse will stop spooking!  I am NOT holding MY breath on
this one :)

CONFIDENTIAL
This communication (including any attachments) may contain privileged or
confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
communication and/or shred the materials and any attachments and are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Thank you.