[RC] Wildlife and other stuff - Cindy Marbut

I would agree with Ed, wholeheartedly, that the most dangerous ?wildlife? out there is two-legged, not four-legged (unless it is a domestic dog). And here is the irony. The best response when faced with four-legged wildlife is to stand your ground, show no fear, make yourself as big as possible, and then exit ASAP but without appearing to be ?running away.? The best response when faced with two-legged wildlife: run like hell. And so far, I don?t know of any two-legged wildlife that can keep up with horse, especially on a mountain trail!

Growing up in Western Montana, I have seen (and been watched by) all kinds of wildlife from coyote to grizzly bear while out riding alone from a young age. I always did as I had been taught and never once have I felt my life was in any danger. My only fear came from worrying that my horse might become uncontrollable because of his own instinctive fear of predators. Although, as Eric experienced, it is this instinctive fear along with their superior noses and ears that makes it possible for our horses to warn us of the presence of a predator, all we need do is listen to them. Mine have warned me many times. Weapons of any kind simply are not necessary and can certainly become a liability, especially in less experienced hands. And I am not anti-gun, I just think most people give guns too much credit, good and bad, and forget that it is a tool dependent upon the ability of the hand holding it.

The most threatened I ever felt was riding in a park area of large city where there were lots of people around. I was charged and circled in predatory fashion by a dog off leash. Fortunately my horse was not afraid of dogs (I have had many over the years and love dogs) and I was able to keep turning to face the dog so he never had a good opportunity to attack. After a few minutes that seemed like hours the dog?s owner finally noticed and called him back. I was most thankful that the dog was well trained and obedient despite his clearly aggressive approach, and knowing first hand the damage domestic dogs allowed to run free can do to horses, cows, sheep, chickens, cats, deer, ? and people.

The most amazing experience I ever had with wildlife was when I rode through the middle of a herd of bedded down elk in a grove of pine trees. I was maybe 14 years old, riding a young horse bareback with a bosal, so we made none of the ?human? sounds that come from tack. And I had probably been riding long enough to smell more like a horse than a human. Anyway, the elk didn?t even get up, they just watched me go by with no concern. I had never been so close to these shy critters, and have never been again. I will never forget the images.

One last comment. I have been reading the posts about the response to Katrina on the one extreme and cruelty to animals on the other extreme. I never cease to be amazed at the extremes that exist in human behavior and capacity. How is it that the same specie of being can mercilessly torture another living being in one capacity and open their homes and hearts to total strangers in a whole different capacity?!? Thankfully we have the good side of us to balance, and hopefully outweigh, the bad side. Perhaps it is the simple fact that most people are good and caring that we as a society simply don?t have it in us to hand out the kind of punishment or response that those capable of torture deserve. I don?t know ? it sure leaves me wondering ? and very sad.

~C