Re: [RC] Barefoot/Shoes? Advice needed PLEASE! - LONG & Slightly OT ? - rides2far

WHITE LINE DISEASE
White line disease is described by Pete here
http://www.hoofrehab.com/end_of_white_line_disease.htm#Whiteline,
and can> come up in barefoot and shod horses. I run into a fair amount
of it,
but> haven't had any tough cases.

The year it hit here we had a bunch of well used ponies & horses who
suddenly seemed a bit lame. Their toes were not long, or heels under run.
When you started cleaning out their feet you realized that part of what
had looked like sole was dirt packed well up into a crevace that had
separated far up into the wall of the hoof. On one tiny shetland (yes,
she was a heavily ridden pony) I could almost put my hoof pick to the
coronary band! It was horrible and I never would have dreamed they could
still walk or come out of it! My vet said they mainly get sore from
gravel & dirt getting up in there and had me soak cotton in iodine &
glycerine and pack it up in there good. It would stay for a long time. I
was treating my 4, then since I knew nobody else would, the 2 down the
road. It was backbreaking. Did this through late summer. Then the wet
season hit. I would pack them, then they'd be up over their hooves in
mud. When spring came around their feet were perfect. I never would have
dreamed they could get better while submerged daily in the mud they went
through to get to the barn but I guess the fungus that causes it can
drown. :-)

Now I just watch for the first sign. If I see a black line developing at
the white line I hit it a lick with the hoof knive then paint it with
formaldehyde. Cures it overnight. The time to watch for it is after a
long dry spell that's been broken by some rain.  Heck, that sounds like
now. I better keep an eye out. I think it's more related to weather than
anything. There will be times when nobody's got it, then times when
everybody I talk to is having a problem.

Angie