Re: [RC] We Lost New Orleans - Joe Long

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:14:24 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe Long- the TV coverage from downtown New Orleans didn't show me much
indication that "people were taking what they needed for survival".  TV sets
and other things were being LOOTED.  Plain and simple.  Good thing it wasn't
my store. That's why I am best friends with Mr Remington, Mr Smith and Mr
Wesson. There is no electricity and won't be for possible weeks, so what TV
set do you ascribe to "survival"?????  LOOTING, just plain LOOTING.  Shades of
the Watts riots years ago.  I was there, worked at northern boundary.  I saw
it waaaay too close.

I don't say all of the looters are stealing necessities for survival -- but many
of them are.  I was just watching some of the coverage myself, most of the
people in that segment, photographed in the stores and coming out of the stores,
had food and beverages.  One young woman saw the camera and hid her face with
some of her "loot" -- a package of diapers.

Yes, there were scumbags stealing TVs too.  I don't condone stealing TV sets,
but I don't judge a woman for stealing diapers for her baby in a situation like
that.

Whatever, this is a horrible tragedy, we can't imagine what many thousands of
survivors are going through.  Along with losing their homes and their
posessions, and at risk of losing their lives, many of their jobs no longer
exist.  Many of them have no idea if friends and family members are alive or
dead.  Let us thank God that we are not among the suffering, and offer our
prayers and our support to those who are.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx