[RC] snakes & horses... - Kelsey Corey

I was riding double with my cousin a few years ago on her grandfathers horse on a trail at their house when a garter snake came across the trail. the horse squealed and struck out at the snake... I assume the snake got away, because we couldn't find it afterwards, but I thought it was amazing that the horse reacted to a little garter snake like that, because I had never seen one of my horses do that to the hundreds of garters on my property. Turns out the horse was born in Texas and showed on the rodeo circuit in the southwest for ten years... Just thought it was interesting... sorry it's off topic...

-Kelsey Corey
AHA Region 5 Youth Director

 I once suggested possibly carrying one when riding in case of a snake encounter
(that's the biggest animal threat here in TX) or when riding alone.  Never
occured to me until he asked me "What would Amira do if you had to SHOOT
that gun?".  The answer is she'd freak...as she's never had guns shot within
close range.  We do ride during hunting season so, gunshots in the distance
are a sound she's grown accustomed to...but would I want to shoot off of her
back...I THINK NOT!
Tracey