From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Sisu West Ranch
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 1:24 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] riding with mountain lions in California

"....It is my understanding that Mountain Lions are protected and it is a crime to hunt them or kill them in our state...."

There lies the big difference.  It is not a coincedence that the Cougar attacks are more likely to happen in CA than in MT.  In MT there is hunting, with dogs.  More important than the control of numbers is that the preditors learn that humans and dogs are to be avoided, and they do.

In MN and WI we rarely saw the black bears that were all over the place for the same reason.

Please note: This post is from personal observation, not scientific evidence.  If anyone knows of a good scientific study, published in a refereed journal,  that shows that large preditors are not more of a problem where they are absolutely protected (like CA or the national parks) please send me the reference.  I promise to get, read and report back

In the meantime lets all send our sympathies to the people who live in CA and NJ where there are large preditors that are a real public safety threat.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875