[RC] mountain lion concerns - LaFollett, Megan

Title: mountain lion concerns

Hello everyone...I was deeply involved in the campaign to keep hound hunting of cougars from being banned in Oregon several years ago, so I'm excrutiatingly familiar with the statistics and stories that involve cougars in California/Oregon/Washington. It is true that if you live in an area that has the wildlife and flora that attract cougars, you are more likely to have to deal with them. However, it should be made clear that in California especially, mountain lions are frequently seen in areas that have been heavily populated by humans for over a hundred years. You need to be aware that you might run into a cougar in unexpected areas. Also, be aware that the dynamic between cougars and humans is rapidly changing. Without the use of hounds, it is NOT possible to successfully control cougar populations (at least by conventional means). Since hound hunting was banned in California in the 70's, and in Oregon in the mid-90's, the cougar population is growing beyond the means of the remaining available cougar territory...AND, cougars are becoming drastically less afraid of humans (For example, I know of one instance where someone fired a gun towards a cougar from less than 50 yards away to scare it off after it had killed a foal and was having a siesta, and the cougar didn't even flinch). Adult cougars require a very large territory, and younger cougars are being kicked out into more heavily populated human areas. These young cougars are also the ones that have never had any reason to learn "respect" for humans, so this is not a healthy scenario (if you're a human, and especially if you own animals). Please, remember that these majestic animals see you as a very easy lunch and, just like your housecat, will obsessively fixate on its prey. If you ride alone, it would be wise to carry a handgun...actually, it would be really wise to ride with a partner with a handgun -- you may not have time to react if you are attacked.

Addendum....This is not meant as a scare tactic, and I ride alone in cougar territory frequently. This is also not (necessarily) a plug for hound hunting. This is just to help you be more aware of the potentially increasing danger of mountain lions near your homes and where you ride...

~Megan