Re: [RC] Headwaters Ride - Mary Krauss

Oh Dear, I didn't mean to imply anything by my question. It's just that our family owns timberland in those parts and I get a little sensitive when people think anything beautiful must be old growth. We plan our stands to be thinned in 30 years and gone over again in 45 years, and then again sometimes in 75 years--definitely a long term business!!!! I was riding through a stand up here in Washington State and was struck by how beautiful managed forests can be--one side of the logging road had been cut probably 80 years ago and was really dark and mysterious with mosses dripping down from the trees. The other side had been thinned about 5 years ago and was really light and beautiful in its own way with all sorts of ferns and lilies responding to the filtered sunlight. It made me feel better about being part of such a controversial business. Anyway, I didn't mean to sound picky about terminology.
Mary K.
p.s. And yes, our family quite happily allows rides through its properties.