[RC] leatherman tool - Susith

Does anyone know an easy way to use the Leatherman knife without nearly cutting half your finger off? I've had to use it twice on trail rides where I've nearly lost a finger in the process, both times either cutting vet wrap or some other bandaging material for a horse or person. The blade does not stay locked straight but folds back in and I think this is a very unsafe design. Or maybe I'm not doing something correctly. If anyone knows of a better trail knife, please let me know.

Thanks,
Susan