[RC] 4Runners and horse trailers - sowright

For some people, it is not practical or necessary to have a full-size truck, as long as it's towing capacity is more than adequate for the loaded trailer.  I started out with a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with factory tow-package, to pull my two-horse with dressing room.  You must have the factory tow-package, for the heavy-duty radiator and transmission cooler.  My trailer's wheelbase exceeded that of the Jeep, so I invested about $600 in a load-balancing hitch for the trailer, in addition to the standard brake-control box.  If your bumper-pull trailer's wheelbase exceeds that of the towing vehicle, adding a load-balancing hitch can transform it into a safe and stable rig.  Note that while we benefited from 18 mpg when I was not towing with the Jeep, our fuel economy was dismal while hauling 2 horses, camping gear and hay/water for the weekend, between 7 and 8 mpg.  Our drives were between 4 and 6 hours long on e way.   However, the rig was very stable in all kinds of heavy wind, rain, muddy/sandy terrain and Michigan winter driving.

This arrangement worked perfectly when we were boarding our horses and did not need a truck to manage our own farm.  We did upgrade to a 3H with LQ this year (necessary now that I'm going to have a baby and intend to keep riding!), and invested in a used diesel dually.  We also purchased our own farm last year, so the long bed truck is invaluable for the usual farm chores.  We get 12 mpg with our diesel truck, whether we are towing or not.  Of course, hauling with the big truck is wonderful, and my Jeep will last a lot longer with an easier workload.  Everything has its price, and your used 4Runner will deteriorate more quickly if you haul frequently.  Personally, I would never buy a used gasoline hauling vehicle, because they don't last like diesels, and I wouldn't expect to get a good useful life out of them.

However, before we became "farmers", it just was not practical to also own a large truck.  Both my husband and I commuted 300 miles a week for our jobs, and a third "weekender" vehicle didn't make financial sense while we were paying higher board for the horses.  I'm lucky in that I now only commute 100 miles a week from our farm, and my husband's commute is still only 300 miles due to changing jobs.

BTW, I've now experienced the full spectrum of hauling arrangements.  For all of you ridecampers who insist on a heavy truck for hauling, my Mom and I hauled my horses to horse shows all over Michigan with a Ford Granada sedan in the 1970s.  Needless to say, we fried both the radiator and the transmission, and it got a little scary during high winds and rain.  Thank God we always made it to our destination safe and sound with my beloved Arabian and Anglo-Arab mare!

Sandra Wright