[RC] training advice - thanks & update - Marlene Moss

Thank for all the great advice for my friend with the horse that won’t back out of the trailer.  I’m sharing it all with her and I think a lot of it will help – when the right time comes.

The update is that my husband and I were over today to remove the horses shoes and trim.  During my first ride I started prying into the shoing history of the horse because I was concerned about the very long toes and feet overgrowing the shoes.  Shoes had been on less than a month!  It was the only time this farrier had touched the horse and he never will again.

Really an atrocious job, shoes almost touched at the heel – and the horse didn’t have contracted heels, hoof wall completely outside the shoe.

We took 3 shoes off the horse and trimmed, in about half an hour.  Spent the next 2 hours taking the horse off the last shoe because the horse would/could not pick up his left rear.  We couldn’t figure out if he couldn’t balance on the right, or just had some pain lifting the left.  This is not a bad looking horse, fairly evenly muscled and actually he was quite a sweatheart today except for refusing to lift that foot.  So hubby had to pry the shoe down into the nice soft moist sand – quite an experience!

So now I will be riding with this lady on some decomposed granite to finish the trim job, but she will also be immediately seeking the help of a local vet/chiro to see if we can figure out what’s up with this horse.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

Available for saddle fitting at Colorado Horse Park endurance ride in CO

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)