Re: [RC] [RC] Equitrol - a cautionary tale, vets please read - SisuWest Ranch - Deanna German

Hi Ed -

No, no, no, if anyone is getting the results I did from Equitrol, they would
NOT want it on board during a ride!! >ggg< Besides beating the snot out of
me with her new-found cutting horse moves, one of the results that I didn't
mention was a very high pulse. In the past, I've trotted this horse into vet
checks and had her pulse come down to parameters by the time I loosened tack
and threw water on her. With the Equitrol, it was a struggle to meet
parameters in 10 minutes after walking in (same level of aerobic fitness).
This is most definitely not a performance aid!

There was a double blind research study done that mirrors my experience with
the product. I can provide the URL link to it if anyone is that interested.

A side note: I pull my horse off of all non-nutritive supplements and/or
additives at least 48 hours before the ride as required by most distance
riding sanctioning bodies (inc. AERC). Even so, there was some residual
effect -- I read that the chemical involved accumulates in the fatty tissues
which explains why it takes so long for the horse to clear it from its
system.

As an additional side note, I'm positive that not every horse will have the
reactions to Equitrol that mine did. But out of the 10 horses at my boarding
barn that were on it, at least two did have reactions and I suspect a third
one.

I'm staying far away from the product and am providing a statement of my
experience here in the hopes that someone else need not have the same
experience. YMMV.

Take Care.

Deanna

original poster wrote:
"....Heightened startle response.
Panic attacks. Extreme lethargy. (At times, my horse would seem very sleepy,
then suddenly "wake up" and spook violently.)..
The take home message is that flies are annoying, but for some horses at
least, Equitrol (Rabon) is far worse....."

Ed replied:
Assuming that the mental changes noted are a usual side effect of Rabon, it
would be banned for endurance horses under rule 13. If I wanted to use this
product, I would make sure that the above mentioned side effects are not real
at all.

Please, read the preceeding sentence carefully. I am just pointing out that
there is no scientific reference given, and at least a look see at the abstract
of a paper would be necessary to conclude that Rabon has mental effects. Since
I have never had a desire to use it, it is not worth my time to double check.
Given that the instruction sheet is very specific as to the dosage horse weight
recommendations, I suspect that there are some significant side effects from
this product. Many prudent endurance riders would therefore conclude that the
risk is not worth the benefit.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road