RE: [RC] CTRs a thumbs down....I think - Von Simson, Cristiano

Title: RE: CTRs a thumbs down....I think

In a message dated 8/22/2005 10:34:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,

> jonnij@xxxxxxxx writes:

>     Well, I have yet to have an endurance vet pick up EVERY  leg, flex

>     them,

>     check tendons,  tendon sheaths, feel for heat, and make notations

>     of any

>     fill or swelling etc..

In fact, the vet should avoid manipulating the limb too much. The goal at the vet check is to evaluate for lameness and ability to go on the race, not to make a diagnostic on the cause of the lameness, prognostic or recommendation for treatment.

Many riders do not want a unfamiliar veterinarian manipulating their horse. In a highly competitive environment (think FEI) the vet could be accused of making the condition worse by his manipulation.

So, as far as the vet-check procedure goes, vets are correct if they just evaluate lameness at trot. Asking to trot in a circle is a common request, when needed. All the other tools for lameness diagnostic (from manipulation to local anesthetic blocks, X-rays, MRIs, etc.) are to be used in another context, when your veterinarian is seeing your horse and is expected to diagnose cause and prescribe a treatment.

Cristiano von Simson, DVM

-------------------------------------------------------- This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the system manager: postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses, however it is always advisable to run a virus check on e-mails and attachments before opening them. --------------------------------------------------------