[RC] CTR vs LD - mkrumlaw

Patti,

When I made the comment about starting my young horses in CTR I
specifically stated because of the slower *environment*, I didn't say
anything about the speed.

start my new/young horses in CTR before I start them in endurance.  It
gives me a slower environment to introduce them to all of the activity
they're going to find in endurance.

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith

I start the horses in CTR because there aren't 120 horses warming up at
the same time and galloping away at the start.  Even if you wait and
start your horses after the pack leaves there is still an energy in the
air that the horses pick up on.  Not to mention the vet checks and a
large number a fast horses on trail.

I choose to start them in CTR because there fewer horses, smaller &
slower vet checks, riders start one or two at a time, and my horses learn
that it's OK to pick a steady speed and not have to race.  Speed is very
easy to introduce into the equation later when they're ready for
endurance.  Additionaly, you don't have to ride the pace set for the
CTR.  I ride my own ride, if my young horse can't keep the pace I slow
them down and take the penalty points.  I view CTR as a tool to start my
new horses.

Honestly no CTR isn't my favorite.  I'd much rather be doing endurance
100's.  But 4 years olds have a ways to go before they can do 100's. In
*my* experiance, and knowing the rides I have available in *my* region I
choose to start them in CTR.

The point of my post was to say there are some valuable tools learned in
CTR that can be brought to the endurance world.

The single biggest mistake anyone can make coming into this sport is
thinking they know everything.  None of us do.

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services
http://www.goodnews.net/