[RC] backing out of trailer - Carol Suggs

A lot of good stuff here.  When I picked up my youngster from the trainer in an xtra wide, xtra tall two horse straight load she went in no problem.  (Actually she loaded and unloaded at the trainers with no problem when we took her there to begin with)

After our 4 hour drive home, I opened up the manger door, untied her, put down the ramp and touched her butt and said BACK.  Nothing happened.  Tried this several times...nothing.  Tugged on her tail a little...nothing.  Then I opened the escape door and stood on the fender of the trailer and tugged on the lead rope while repeating back.  Nothing happened.

So here is what we did.  We left her untied with the ramp down and the doors opened for about 1 hour.  I went about doing my business, unloading the truck and what not.  She never backed out!  Finally I had enough ands napped two lunge lines on either side of the halter and "drove" her out backwards.

After that we spent a few hours using a dressage whip (or you could use the PNH carrot stick or whatever clinician's prop tool is available to you...I find a dressage whip works fine as an extension of my arm).  And we practiced the go forward cue and the go back cue.  One of the go forward cues is tap tap tap at the hip until they take a step and stop tapping.  One of the go back cues is tap tap tap on the chest or upper front legs until they back up then stop tapping.  Remember TAP not WHACK!  very important to remember that the dressage whip (or similar tool ) is simply an extension of your arm and
we don't use it to spank, whack or "whip" as the name implies.  After awhile you just have to motion to them and not really even tough them and they will move forward and back with simple motion.

Now mare comes out and goes in trailer just like all of our others with a slight tug on the tail and the command "back".

Keep on Training!

Carol-Mariposa