Re: [RC] CTRs a thumbs down....I think - Truman Prevatt

I've seen CT region vets do it. I've seen SE vets do it. I've seen Mt region vets do it. I've was on a ride in the NW region where one of the vets did it.

I've even seen one vet do it that is now in western Canada. I don't think it's a regional thing but a vet thing. The ones I've seen do it can watch two horses trot while the quickly feel the tendons.

Truman

Dbeverly4@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/23/2005 7:05:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>In a message dated 8/22/2005 10:34:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>jonnij@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
>   Well, I have yet to have an endurance vet pick up EVERY  leg, flex
>   them,
>   check tendons,  tendon sheaths, feel for heat, and make notations
>   of any
>   fill or swelling etc..
>
>*I have, more than once.....mb*

Actually it pretty common with some vets.

Truman

Maybe its a regional thing (?). I've been asked to trot my horse out along with 2 others for a completion exam (more than once, way more than once). No legs were ever touched, no back, no girth, nothing. This was one vet watching 3 horses trot at the same time for a completion exam. I'm not knocking endurance vets, but my experience is that you'd dang well better know your own horse and make SURE you are your horse's keeper. I happen to agree with that philosophy, but part of why I am comfortable with that is because of NATRC, I know what to look for on my own. As a newbie just jumping into 50 milers I wouldn't have known what the heck to look for, worry about, check, etc. (unless I had a cool mentor like Maryben :)

And I have to say this....I always find it humorous when people tell you that they are experienced and know what they're doing, great horsemen, blah blah, and in the same breath they admit to racing an LD on their first or second ride...simply amazing.

Sylvia

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics