[RC] CTR vs. LDs - Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs

>start my new/young horses in CTR before I start them in endurance.  It gives me a slower environment to introduce them to all of the activity they're going to find in endurance.

>Mollie Krumlaw-Smith

See now one of the main reasons I started my Walker on LDs (not CTRs) was because we could go *slower* in an LD and still get a completion than we could if we did a CTR. Go figure.

I actually went to a wonderful CTR clinic a few years back down here in FL (SEDRA?) after I had volunteered at an endurance ride, but before I had competed in either. I got the same impression the orginal poster had. It was not a negative experience at all, wonderful people etc,  but just not my cup of tea. I, too come from a english/showing background and the thing I just fell in love with, in regards to endurance, is the lack of subjectivity. Yes, yes, I know I could do CTRs and just ignore the comments I don't like, but I know me....if I don't "do well" by the judges standards I will feel bad about myself. The only "judge" I want to answer to now is my horse and the vet. Know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong I *totally* understand what people are saying about learning endurance through CTRs. But for me, reading ridecamp and anything else I could get my hands on, volunteering at rides, riding with a mentor and then just getting out their and doing them with my horses' best interests in mind (not my own) can be just as good a schooling if CTR isn't "your thang".

Patti Fuchs

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=