RE: [RC] Gaited horses/sore back - heidi

I know I will get major flames from this, but I just have to say something
here -- people who ride gaited horses say that it's such a smooth ride, but
observing them going down the trail, I can see a lot of movement in the
riders - no, it's not like riding a trot or a canter, but when I watch your
bodies, you are moving quite a bit.  I rode a gaited horse one time, a TWH,
and quite honestly, for me -- I did not like the movement.

We are all built a little different.  I'm a bit like Carla here--I don't
find gaited horses to be "comfortable" for long periods of time.  I do
get the "stagnant back" that Bruce talks about--while others are right
that there IS some motion to riding a gaited horse, it is not the right
direction of motion to keep my back flexible and limber.  And Mike
brought up another point--the "feedback" from the flesh over the seat
bones.  It bothers me to "sit" in the saddle in that manner.  A horse
with a nice, smooth trot will do all the work of posting if you just
keep in rhythm with him, and that gets my seat out of the saddle.

I've ridden Arabs that gait to some degree, and while I enjoy it as a
brief change of pace from time to time, I'm sure glad they don't do it
all the time.  There is a side-to-side motiion to it that indeed
provides a back "massage" for a short time, but after while becomes (to
me, at least) more like Chinese water torture.

I do agree that a smooth horse is a blessing for those of us with back
pathology.  I do ride one that isn't so smooth--he is an honest old
coot and absolutely reliable, but I've ridden many that are far more
comfortable.  But I've ridden enough really comfortable
traditionally-gaited horses to know that he is an exception, not the
rule.

Again, it's nice that we're all different, and that the sport
accommodates those differences, not only in competition styles, but
also in being open to all breeds.

Heidi