[RC] Bio Diesel (words from my commercial fuel dealer.) - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's interesting to read all of the notes being exchanged about this stuff. We
buy ALOT of diesel because we have a tractor dealership and an excavation/earth
materials hauling business. We use about 600 gallons every two weeks. Our
commecercial supplier (who sells both) advised us not to move to the bio diesel
unless we were running very up to date machinery and trucks, as the Lye, used
in the filtration process tends to gel up really bad if exposed to the smallest
amount of moisture. So fuel tanks that are not positively air tight will
develop sludge,and clog up, which the clean up will cost far more then the
savings to deal with. Especially for heavy commercial fuel users like
ourselves. The blended fuels available are usually ones that have it available
because it is government subsidized, Which we don't get, so it costs as much if
not a tad bit more where we buy fuel. But this commercial handler that we buy
from hates the stuff. The gal in the office said they are constantly having to
deal with problems. But Washington State appearantly gets some big federal kick
backs for using it, so they hesitantly supply it to the state for their use.
And for those who get the big kick backs on it making it worth while to risk
and deal with the problems that can come from it gooping up. PS,, all diesels
collect condensation,, I swear they are magnets for it. Just ask the 40 some
tractors I have sitting on my lot,,, a large portion of which are brand new
2005's.So were not talking about just oldies. And these are the cheap China
tractors either.

I imagine in areas down Southwest were the weather is more accomodating it
might be very feasible to use. But up here where the weather is dry for only 4
good months, I suspect based on what I've been told and my only half educated
assumptions that they would be correct about the gelling and sludging up with
moisture. I'm no fuel expert but I was a straight A Chem' and physics
student,,, and I'm an even better mechanic, So I'm playing it on the safe, but
expensive side. I'd rather pay a little more per gallon and not replace the
$1200.00 fuel pump and injectors in my F-350 (again). I'd really hate to do it
in the dump trucks or any of my excavators or dozers! What a night mare that
would be,,, everything is HUGE and oh my God heavy,,, and I still need shoulder
surgery,, maybe this winter when the endurance rides are put off a while.