[RC] Saddle fit, etc. - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Authors C Peham, T Licka, H Schobesberger, E Meschan
Title   Influence of the rider on the variability of the equine gait
Full source     Human Movement Science, 2004, Vol 23, Iss 5, pp 663-671

The aim of this study was to show that the motion pattern of a well-ridden
horse varies less than the motion pattern of an unridden horse. In order to do
so, we recorded the motion of two markers, one attached to the dorsal spinous
processus of lumbar vertebra L4, the other to the right fore hoof. In total, we
measured 21 horses in trot, ridden and unridden, with a fitting and with a
non-fitting saddle. After breaking down the entire time series of the
three-dimensional motion of the markers into their respective motion cycles, we
computed a measure of motion pattern variability for the motion as well as for
the derivatives (velocity and acceleration) along each of the three principal
dimensions. Two of six variables (velocity and acceleration in the forward
direction) displayed a significant discrimination between the ridden and the
unridden case, and demonstrated the beneficial effect of a rider on the horse's
motion pattern variability. Saddle fit was shown to have also an influence on
motion variability: variability of two variables (velocity and of acceleration
in forward direction) was significantly lower with a fitting saddle compared to
a non-fitting saddle, a third variable (acceleration in the transversal
direction) showed a significant difference also. This new method offers an
objective evaluation of saddle fit, and a sensitive assessment of the quality
of the rider in the moving horse.