Re: [RC] speaking of gaited horses - Laney Humphrey

I'm responding as a newbie to gaited horses, coming from Arabs and a very well trained Spanish Mustang. My 4yo TWH gelding isn't nearly as responsive as the arabs I've ridden but he is full of "try" and once he's learned something, he's got it. So far (not very long!), he hasn't done the continuous testing that some arabs do. I'm riding him in a snaffle rather than the mullen with shanks that I was told he "had" to be ridden in. He's still figuring out not to "pull" on the bit, which I think is more nearly looking for the constant contact he was started with. He isn't very flexible so I'm doing lots and lots of bending and working on side passing. If the timing works out tomorrow morning I may use the cattle working going on at the ranch to let him just follow a cow as part of his education. I think different breeds, which have, after all, been bred for different uses, just have different ways of processing new information and dealing with the world. I know there are smarties and dumbies in every breed as well as hyper responsive horses and sluggards too so I don't want to rush to conclusions. I will say, however, that my one "rat" experiment is way fun to fool around with and good luck with yours!
Laney

Kathy Ramspott wrote:
I've been working with green SE Arabs for a few years now. They are pretty much the only horses I've had that were green. I was one of those fools green horse/green rider but thats neither here nor there now.
Anyway, I had a beautiful TWH colt born a couple years ago right here. So he is spoiled and sweet and willing. I have been on him quite a few times and am AMAZED at the difference in personality between him and any arab I've sat on. The problem is, I've gotten so used to the ultra sensitive arabs where now I ride them in a sidepull, yes even the 4 yo that is just starting, but my young TWH will have none of it. Since I can't ride him in a side pull I'm now using a snaffle. Ive never seen folks who ride TWH use snaffles but that is what I'm going to at least try to use.

My question is, he is one of those horses that does not follow where his head goes. I can try using the rein and my weight and if he wants, his body still keeps going straight. I am so used to just a little extra weight in the stirrup and they turn immediately with the arabs that I am just flabbergasted at this youngster who doesn't turn.

I am ONLY riding him for about 15 minutes or so around the pasture to help him get used to the whole carrying mom on his back thing so don't think I'm out there abusing his 2 yo body. I just really need to know how to get him to turn when he won't. He actually has pretty good breaks now that I am using a bit. I have tried where even if he takes one step in the direction I want he gets alot of praise but he isn't super bright and isn't picking up on it. Do I just need a lot more patience ??

Kathy R - SE

: