Re: [RC] Gaited horse in LD - Mary Ann Spencer

Interesting how we all seem to find a way to keep riding.  I have been riding Arabs for over twenty yrs but just bought my first TWH.  She is only 3 and needs to gain some wt.  I have my eight yo Arab to ride until she is ready.  I must admit that the prepurchase ride I did was a convincing one on my knees.  She is sweet and not so 'spooky' as all my Arabs have been.  As I am not getting any younger and neither are my knees I decided it was time for a change.  Inspite of all the grandiose plans I had twenty yrs ago, life has just not allowed them. I will probably never get close to the Tevis so what the heck, let's just keep riding and enjoying the individual challenges of 'RIDING OUR OWN RIDE'  and keep the motto going:  TO FINISH IS TO WIN.    Seems there is room for all types of riders.  We who are the Baby Boomers are becoming older but still want to keep going.  Happy trails to all, Mary Ann

ps. Seems to me we need to keep track of the use of the gaited horse in endurance.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:21 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Gaited horse in LD

HI Laurie,

The disclaimer:  I'm new to endurance, new to gaited horses, but have been riding for 40+ years.

I did two LD's on my Arab before I decided I wasn't young enough anymore to necessarily stay  with his  six foot horizontal leaps.

I bought a nine year old Tennessee Walker gelding in May and did a very nice easy 25 on a cool day in July.  He was idle when I bought him, but very energetic and a horse that acts like he loves to use his body and his athleticism.  I conditioned just like I would with an Arab and did all my training rides with my Arab-riding training partners.  In the beginning, Hunter fell behind when they trotted.  By July, he could keep up with them at the rack, occassionally cantering along in a truly lovely rocking chair canter.

Good luck and welcome to the ranks of the non-Arab riders,

P.S.    I LOVE  Arabs

Nancy Sturm