Re: [RC] Moving Up...the Next Step - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/17/2005 1:19:15 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, rdcarrie@xxxxxxx writes:
Which would you try next...an easy 75, or two back-to-back 50s?
Hi Dawn,
    It has been my experience that a horse learns how to be an endurance horse by doing endurance rides.
    That said, the last gelding I started, I started with a 50 on a Saturday, then a 50 on the next day, Sunday.  Of course, I rode the 1st 50 with the 2nd 50 in mind.  Which translates to, I didn't ride fast, I didn't ride slow on Saturday.  I just rode, he ate and drank on the trail and and the end of the day...I took care of him.  Then, I left him alone and got up the next day rode him the next 50 miles.
    Truth to tell, he performed even better on the second day.
    Those were his first endurance rides.
    They were in the Black Hills, about a two and half hour trailer ride from home.
    He was six years old.
    Then, I hauled him to another 50 in three weeks after that Sunday.   He eased right through it.
    Then, I hauled him to the Big Horn 100 and he completed that just three weeks after his third 50.  Again, I just rode him 100 miles...eating and drink, not dallying, not hurrying and we got it done.
    He became an endurance horse in those four rides.  He came to a quick understanding of what was required on his part and what I would do for him to make it happen.
    He was fit, sound and well-trained before his first fifty.
    Now, to answer your question, your horse will learn great things from either a 75 or back to back 50's (I'm assuming you mean two days of 50's each day).  I always do a two or three day ride (50's each day) as the second step in developing an endurance horse...after single day 50's.  The horse I described above was a bit unfocused and the two days of 50 miles each day CHANGED his world.  Not because he was ridden into the ground, not because I "wore him out" (I didn')...but because HE became responsible for his own effort.  He learned to rate himself, physically and emotionally.
     Back to back 50's are a great thing...they answer many questions for the horse and the rider.

Frank