Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:15 AM
Subject: [RC] Trailer Safety Tip...or just plain driving tip

This past weekend I was driving in my car and stopped at the intersection.  I had a red light.  As a truck and horse trailer approached the intersection (they had the green) a car went thru the red light at 35-40 mph and slammed into the truck towing the horse trailer...RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!  Thank goodness no people or horses were injured badly.  One horse needed some stitches as he had cut his lip, the truck and car are totalled, and the trailer needs fixed, but other than that everything should be okay.

During the past 3 weeks, while on vacation, I witnessed 3 other accidents with 2 fatalities, people zoned out while they were driving, people cutting other cars/trucks off, following to closely or putting themselves inside of someone elses cushion, and much more really bad driving.

Why am I telling you this....?
Well, I grew up in the work world at UPS and they are big time at training their drivers in safety.  It's one of the best "every day" things I used from my training.  It's saved me from having accidents like the one I told you about...close calls that my horse trailer would have been hit and my horses injured.  So, this is just a reminder to everyone...don't get complacent when you are driving...your car, truck, towing a trailer...it could save you and your horses.  In the UPS world, if the driver would have followed simple safety rules of driving, then the accident with the car & horse trailer probably could have been avoided.  I'm not putting blame on the truck/trailer who got hit, but I am stating that it is our job to look out for the knuckleheads who don't pay attention like the car who hit them.  All too many times, I have avoided collisions with my truck or trailer, because I followed the driver safety training UPS provi ded to me and just didn't assume everyone else was awake and paying attention.  Look around, you'll be surprised at how many people are really poor drivers and are endangering your life, your horses, and the others around you.

If you want to know what UPS taught me, here it is.....
1. Aim high in steering...look out ahead of you, not right in front of your vehicle.
2. Get the Big picture...see everything around you.
3. Keep your eyes moving....you have mirrors for a reason and windows too...accidents can happen from any spot, not just in front of you
4. Leave yourself an out...don't follow too close, etc.
5. Make sure they see you...I beep my horn ALOT...sometimes people are looking the other way and I'm coming thru...I just want to make sure they see me.

I hope I wasnt' too preachy, but with all I've witnessed in the last 3 weeks, I wanted to make others aware....Just a few words to the wise, awake, and attentive.

Safe driving to all!
Stacy