[RC] Giving a dog or cat medication - heidi larson

It's true, cats are tougher, probably because they learn the system easier and are not impressed with the treat or fuss afterwards.  For them, it sometimes helps to have a friend come over and do it for you, (it catches them off guard) they also have to have practiced though, gotta be quick with cats, less restraint usually the better.  However, if restraint is needed, the best way is to use another person, second person grabs hind legs in one hand, front in the other, stretch cat out (hands are up high on the legs) other person grabs behind canines, drops pill and everyone lets go and gets hands out of the way at hopefully the exact same time.  I've been slow only once and got my fingernail crunched for my lack of speed.  Other alternative is have the second person grab by the scruff, and actually lift the cat off the table or floor somewhat, maybe just the back feet touching, hold front legs out of the way and once again, go for over the face right behind canines.  Cats are scary though, so fast and can turn on their favorite person in an instant!

(Can you tell I used to be a vet tech? Now I appraise houses, much safer and a better paycheck!)

heidi

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Diane Roby diane_roby2002@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I give my dog medicine the same way and don't have any troubles with him...the cats on the other hand, and one in particular, are another story. The last time I had to give a pill to this cat I thought one of us was coming out of the fight dead. Two weeks later and I still have stratches trying to heal.

Ok, I deleted all the other replies, but here's what "I" do, not that it's correct. Not sure if this is a small dog or large, but the concept is the same. Put her on a table, seems to get them off guard when up high, place hand over top of snout, works great on long nosed dogs, also blocks the eyesight somewhat, so they usually don't see what's coming. Place fingers inside lips just behind the canines, (thumb on right side, fingers on left side) lifting her mouth open with the same hand, (what I mean is as you lift the upper jaw, the bottom one opens and voila, you can see down her throat, the higher you lift.) Drop the pill in and hope you don't hit the back of the tongue, as they can usually spit it up if it sticks to the tongue. Be fast, give a treat afterwards and make a big fuss about what a good girl she is.

heidi