From: Nancy
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:45 PM
Subject: [RC] motor home towing horse trailer

Lisa, I tow my 2 horse aluminum slant load with an F350, V10, 23 foot, Tioga
RV.  I love the set up and love camping in it.  A 31 foot RV is BIG and you
may have length issues getting into places, or perhaps getting out of
places.  Also note that many National Parks have length restrictions on
RV's.  Sorry I can not remember what the exact limit is, but it may be 27
feet.
All that said I would make sure the RV is set up to pull your horses safely.
You will need an  electronic brake controller ( a new progressive type is
now available that is safer in panic stops.  I got to test it the other day
and the extra $25 dollars was worth it), the proper sized frame welded hitch
to pull the load (in pounds), a transmission cooler and a large radiator,
mirrors that stay put and are large enough to see behind and along side you.
This is all basic trailer stuff, and I bet you already know it. So please
forgive me if I an being too elementary.
The biggest problem I have had to deal with is the trailer hitting the RV
while backing up or going through dips.  This is the same type of problem
short bed trucks have with gooseneck trailers making tight turns. With my
first trailer I ended up with a hitch extension.  After a trailer accident
were the pin came out I decided I needed to get a safer set up with less
parts to fall out.  So after much worrying and fretting, I figured out the
problem!  An RV needs to pull a bullet nosed trailer, not a flat nosed one!
Well, I guess you can tell I am NOT a genius, but I am so happy to have a
safer set up.
Good luck to you and you will love camping with an RV.
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA

I am shopping with my family for a motor home. The one we are=
 looking at has a Ford F450 econoliner v10 chassis and 31 foot=
 total motor home. can a 2 horse trailer be safely towed with=
 this? I don't recall seeing this done, but my fiancé doesn't see=
 why we couldn't?