[RC] Water Bucket Training - April

Tanna has been on water bucket training for the last 5 or 6 days. He seems to be ok with the water buckets. He has about 12 gallons available when the buckets are full. He only drank about 3 gallons the first day, 4 the second, and has leveled out around 5 gallons per 24 hour period.

Quick research on the web indicates this is probably about right for a 800 lb horse on pasture. I always thought he should be drinking about 10 gallons.

A very interesting (to me) phenomenon is that Tanna drinks the majority of his water during the day. He drinks maybe 1/2 gallon at night. Certainly no more than that.  I check the buckets before I go to work and refill the buckets at night when I feed. This actually makes me feel better about his drinking habits at a ride. He just doesn't seem to drink at night at a ride either and this always worried me. This training is allowing me to monitor his water intake at home in a relaxed environment and at the very least is giving me a better idea of what is normal for Tanna. Maybe I'll stop freaking out so much about his water as long as he'll start drinking the first 15 or 20 miles of an endurance ride. Maybe. Or maybe I'll just find something else to freak out about! :-)

I'm beginning to mix up the buckets. Offering water in different colors sizes and shapes of buckets. And I'm starting to move the buckets away from the overturned water trough. I don't anticipate any issues. It's just a slow progressive process. I also plan to add Perform N Win and/or plain salt to one of the buckets within the next day or two.

April
Nashville, TN