[RC] Not a Ride Story but a ride story.. - Amber B Fort

Ok, so this is not a Endurance competition ride story, but only an 8 mile ride story.

I haven't been able to ride as much as I like since giving birth to my daughter this past November. Apparantly the little bit I have been able to work my stallion, JerryO, has kept him in decent shape.

He has been worked in the round pen 5-6 times.  I have been turning him out in the round pen and putting his nemesis (sp?) Streak (my other stallion) in the paddock to graze.  Sooo, lots of insults and fluff and puff up and down the fence, so this might count for some exercise.

I only get to ride down the road when Hubby is home to babysite, so weekend warrior riding only to this point.

This morning we headed out a 7am whilst Hubby and child slept in(fed her at 5:30am so she would).  Crossed the ditch, currently knee deep in water.  No problems with water crossing from this ranch (live next to a swamp in Florida, you won't have this training issue).  Made it about 100 yards and saw something tall, dark, and not sure what it was, except that it was MOVING!

I have seen bear tracks and was really hoping it wasn't the bear.  Luckily it was the neighbor out in camo hunting hogs with his bow/arrow.   He had seen me so no problem there, however until he spoke, JerryO wasn't sure WHAT he was, cautious but still in forward motion.

We chatted a bit while JerryO munched knee deep grass and then headed on out.  We went down a new dirt road, trotting most the way.  He is finally getting a steady rythem and working great.  Looking at everything but paying attention to Mom.

By now, it is steamy, hot, and muggy, but the trotting is keeping the air flowing and NO BUGS.  JerryO is sweating and still full of you know what, not tired at all when we reached the end of the road.  We trotted for about 2 miles nonstop and he is doing great.

We turned around and walked for awile, then trotted some more, then cantered for 1.5 miles, then walked/trotted till the last mile and walked in.  He was sweating good, not interested in the water in the ditch, took a couple of bites of the grass and moved on, on his own.

We got home after a 3 hour ride and 8 miles, hot and sweaty (mostly me).  I untacked him and hosed him off for about 5 minutes.  His chest was cool by the time he was untacked.

He was such a good boy and seamed really happy to be out with Mom again.  I think I really needed this ride to get me motivated again to do a 50.  We did a 25 before I got pregnant.  So, now I am looking to see what is available towards the end of the year, maybe the first of the year to do a 50.

Gotta start somewhere, hopefully this is it.

Amber Fort
Knight Hawk Ranch
"Performance with out parameters"
Home to the Black Arabian stallions:
Kaysa Jerry (72% CMK)
Black Streak (Pure Polish)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=