RE: [RC] Heat Rash? - kazevedo

Quoting Mary Krauss <lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Are you sure these bumps are from heat?  They sound a lot more like a
response to too much pressure.  Is the saddle able to give a bit in
that area or does it just grind away in that spot?  Also, you might try
varying your own riding a bit--try changing your riding position a bit
every 15 minutes to give that area a break.

Thanks Mary.  Well I said a 'couple bumps' on each side, but it's more like 3
or 4 bumps on each side of his backbone, kind of random placement but close to
eachother... and actually I think they appeared more forward on his back that
where I sit. I figured they were placed on his back where it gets the hottest.
Each bump was about ..oh.. I'd say 3/8 inch in diameter.  And they are easy to
feel but not necessarily easy to see (just like what Karen said), although with
Shrimp wearing his sleek summer coat I do recall being able to see them last
weekend.

My horse quit having these bumps when I bought an XW saddle....  Before
that, I too noticed that they seemed worse in warm weather.  In
retrospect it seems to me that the warm weather wasn't the primary
cause of the discomfort but merely exacerbated the problem of an
ill-fitting saddle.  Those "bumps" were swelling from circulation
returning to a now-damaged area of the horse's back....

 Well this summer someone *did* tell me that Shrimp's saddle didn't fit him
well in the shoulder (too tight), so I went on this hunt for the right saddle
and tried out a bunch... but then I had two knowledgeable endurance riders look
at the Steubben and both say that they thought it actually fit him really
well... and he's never had and soreness/white spots/dry spots either... so
right now I'm pretty sure that this saddle fits him well.  That thought also
combined with the observation that these bumps have appeared only at hot rides,
lead me to believe that the bumps were from his back getting very hot.
 Karen- that's a very good thought about it possibly being a reaction from
detergent or fly spray or something.  I did use a small amount of detergent on
the pad when I washed it before I left for the ride.  I think I'll skip the
detergent next time to see if that helps... thanks for the suggestion.  He once
did break out in hives from putting a new blanket on him w/o washing it
first... so his skin could be a bit sensitive.

Thanks Karen, Mary and Laney!!

:)Katie