RE: [RC] catching up regarding beet pulp, pt 1 - Chris Paus

thanks for that explanation, Susan, especially regarding foals! I appreciate that. AFter the discussion I was wondering if I need to change our feeding program, but I'm on the right track. the babies get mostly mother's milk and good pasture and hay until they are weaned. Whatever grain or beet pulp they get is to keep them occupied while the mommas are eating, so it's not a lot..handfuls not pounds. I usually don't wean until 4 or 5 months.

I usually use beet pulp more in the winter because the horses all seem to really appreciate a nice hot mash on cold days, but it's usually one feeding. The other feeding is a grain with supplements. And they always have free choice good brome grass hay.

I like to use beet pulp at rides and add some senior feed in it. Seems to get the horses to drink and eat well at VC and i put their elytes in it and they seem to just slurp it up. I also give them a little beet pulp mash in the trailer when we are driving to a ride... that again gets a good amount of liquid in them and some roughage to keep their gut sounds going. I used to arrive at rides with the horses slightly dehydrated already. Since I've started feeding the sloppy mash in the trailer, that doesn't happen anymore. They arrive well hydrated with good gut sounds.

chris

"Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M." <suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>What minerals do they chelate and how rapid is the cleation process?

If you're looking at the first study cited below, it doesn't seem to affect
any of the macrominerals in adult horses, which are the ones most likely to
get out of whack during an endurance ride--- calcium, phosphorus, magnesium,
sodium, chlorine, etc.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com