Re: [RC] catching up re beet pulp, pt. 2 - Sisu West Ranch

The comments on the removal of nutrients by the oxalate in beet pulp sent me to my book shelf.  I looked up the solubility products of oxalates.  For non-scientests in the group I should define scientific notation and solubility product.  Please bear with me.

In scientific notation 10^-2 = 0.01  the "^" is a way to indicate exponents when good typesetting is not around.  the larger the negative exponent the smaller the number.  10^-9 is 0.000000001 or one in a billion.

Cations are derived from metals, and carry a positive charge (Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium are examples of metals that are usually found as cations)

Anions are the negatively charged part of inorganic compounds.  They are derived from non metals and organic compounds.  Most are also found in acids of the same name.  Acetic acid reacts with Na to form sodium acetate etc.  Some important nutrients are actually found as anions.  Phosphorous is really in the body as phosphate.

The concentration of inorganic compounds (those with cations like Na (sodium) or Ca (calcium) and anions like Cl (chloride) and phosphate (PO4)) dissolved in water can be expressed by the product of the concentration of the cation and the anion.

The smaller the product, the smaller the solubility product.
Ca oxalate has a solubility product of 2 x 10^-9
Mg oxalate has a solubility producto fo 8.6 x 10^-5.

This means that very little Ca oxalate dissolves in water.  It also  means that oxalate will remove Ca from availability 10,000 times as well as it will Mg.  Note that since food normally has more Ca than Mg, most of the oxalate will be tied up by the Ca with little left over to react with Mg.  This would cause me to predict that effects would be seen first on Ca availability.

I couldn't find my old inorganic text to check, but Se is in the Sulfer family of elements.  That means that while it can be found as a cation, (SeBr2 is known, but decomposes in water) like Sulfer it should usually be found as salts of Selenic or selenious acid.  This means it is part of a negatively charged anion.  Oxalate will not react or precipitate another anion.  Note that since Se is so poisonous, it is not usually encountered in the chemistry lab, that is why I tried to find my old inorganic text.  Be aware that I may be wrong here, but I doubt it.

Ed

Refs:
"Qualitative Analysis and Electolytic Solutions" Edward J King, 1959
"Handbook of Chemistry and Physics", Chemical Rubber Publishing Co. , about 1959 (the cover is gone)

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640