Re: [RC] catching up re beet pulp, pt. 2 - Tivers

In a message dated 8/10/2005 2:02:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So for the vet that blithely advised limiting beet pulp, I’d still like to invite that vet to first explain in detail why they advise the limitation; explain the physiology beyond “throwing off electrolytes”; what should the limitation be if there is no grain ration; how to correct the issue and weigh the relative merits and detriments of each strategy.  Then I’ll personally change my opinion that they’re qualified to advise on that subject--- not that my opinion is worth a damned thing, but if someone is dumb enough to ask for it, they’re going to get it without varnish.>

Don't forget that you were getting a second-hand version from a lay person. The vet may not have been so "blithe".

>So much for beet pulp.  Tom, you asked for an example of when sugar has caused a horse’s death, regardless of how stupidly it was used.  I can’t and won’t ever assign an endurance horse’s death or ills on GL or anything similar, but just for the sake of trivia--- in clinical trials that require a group of horses to be uniformly suffering from either endotoxemia and/or laminitis, the guaranteed route to produce it is to feed a couple pounds of corn starch.  It breaks down to straight glucose in the small intestine and you can count on the onset of devastating laminitis within 24 hours.  Machiavellian, but there you are.>

But I said sugar.

ti