[RC] My "position of record" on Beet Pulp - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom Ivers said:

Your position, sorting through the
personal attack bullshit, is that there is no concern
about mineral balance/delivery in feeding either ounces
or pounds of beet pulp? That was the original question.
Is that your position of record?

Absolutely NOT.  My statement was merely to point out that the studies you
cited did not say what you said they say.

And yet, again, you have read something into a text that is not there.

At NO time did I say there was no concern, and I can't imagine where you
got that idea since the whole purpose of the post was to read through
things carefully and warn people about jumping to conclusions (and "there
is no concern" is just as much of an unsubstantiated  conclusion as "beet
pulp causes weak bones in foals").

What I said is that the studies raised questions that require further
investigation (and you kindly provided references to further investigation,
that I must confess to not having gotten around to reading).

Because I haven't gotten around to reading them, I do not have a "position
of record."  And I may not, even after I get around to reading them.

I am not unconcerned about balancing/delivering minerals to my horses'
diets, and was, even before this discussion got started; although, I must
confess that my biggest concern is providing too much calcium which might
be messing things up, and that there might be a shortage of magnesium;
which I why I honed in on the first study you cited.  I wondered if feeding
beet pulp to my horse had caused a problem with magnesium absorption, and
confess to being hypersensitive to magnesium right now so the report that
there was no observable effect on magnesium absorption in the study leaped
off the page at me.

So, if you can provide me with links to any studies done on magnesium in
horses, it would be greatly appreciated.  The only things I have been able
to find so far have been about cows, and without doubt you are better and
finding research than I am (and that was another thing I said in my first
post which I also lauded as a valuable service).

I haven't been able to find anybody else who is particularly interested in
my questions about magnesium, so if you are interested in WHY I am
interested in it, I am more than willing to send on to you the details
associated with that question.   Send me your e-mail address (I read the
archives and therefore cannot get it from ridecamp), unless you haven't
changed it since the last time I sent you reports, and I can send it
directly to you.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .