Re: [RC] Training to cross Water - Chris Paus

This is good advice. I had an experience with crossing bridges that cemented this in my mind!

My usually brave mare was a bit timid about crossing a bridge near our home on a road we hadn't ridden on before. It was also during a rain and the creek was up pretty high and moving fast under the bridge. She started across the bridge for me and got about halfway across....until I looked over the side of the bridge at the water. She spun around and headed back the way we came!

I dismounted, led her across that bridge but there was another one 200 feet down the road. This time I looked straight ahead at the place where I wanted her to go. She marched right over it!

We turned around and did both bridges again, and I kept my eyes focused on the road ahead and she crossed them no problem.

A month later, we went over a pretty long concrete bridge over an inlet to a lake. Again, I just asked her to walk and kept my eyes on the road ahead... and she went right over it for me!

chris

Betty Edgar <betndez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Helpful hint:  Always look across the stream to where you are going. . . DO NOT look down at the crossing as you approach.

Helpful hint #2:  If you are going to make any adjustment in rein length, seat, or legs do so far in advance of the stream then remain relaxed, no twitching, or even thinking that your horse won't cross.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com