[RC] re: HighTie accidents - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Teresa Van Hove  tvanhove@xxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This weekend, the new
tether did not have a plastic piece to break and my horse was down until we
could hit the emergency release.  He walked away with a rope burn to a rear
pastern.

My question is this -- does anyone have any suggestions for either preventing
this little problem or making your own tether that will break under stress?

Ouch -- Grey once got a nasty deep rope burn scratching his head  while tied to
an overhead rope highline like this so I sympathize.  I do have skyhook high
ties now.  What I like to do is also make an electric tape corral so the horses
can have halter free time to roll and get rid of their itchies. and B) I
followed someone's RC advice and ran a leadrope thru plastic milker hose.  So
if they do get a leg over this they should be
much less likely to end up with a rope burn. I find I sleep better having them
on the high ties even though my horses are really good about staying in the
tape pen as high winds or getting their blankets caught in the tape can take
the pen down; the one ride I didn't to a tape pen, we had opportunity to let
the horses loose in an arena and they got to roll there.  Mine live on sand lots
at home and prefer rolling to me trying to wash their heads for
them.